Due to the rapidly evolving developments caused by COVID-19, we are limiting the number of customers in our lobby. Customers will take a number outside the lobby and wait for their number to be called before entering into the lobby. You may also renew online and have your renewal mailed to you same day or use our drive through to pick up your renewal, same as before. We are taking every recommended precaution such as wearing masks and practicing social distancing. Thank you!


Located minutes from Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Lakewood Vehicle Licensing has been proud to serve Active Duty Military, Veterans & Reservists for over 30 years.
For our active duty and retired Military Personnel, we now have a dedicated customer service station
to service your title and registration needs.

Military discounts are available to active duty personnel only, and apply to the Regional Transit Authority Tax (RTA Tax). Active duty personnel may eliminate paying the RTA tax if they meet the following requirements:

  • Must be Active Duty
  • Must not be registered to vote in the State of Washington
  • Does not own a home in the State of Washington

RTA Tax is determined by the State and is based on the value of the car being registered.

For any questions regarding Military discounts, please call our office at (253) 588-7786.
Please see below the following information that you will need in order to successfully renew your vehicle registration and/or to title your vehicle.

Tab Renewal

  • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) or License Plate number
  • Picture ID (Military ID or Passport preferred)

Title Transfers

  • Title (if in your possession).
  • If the Title is not in your possession, a fax copy of the title if being help by bank or credit union
  • Most recent registration
  • Emissions test if applicable. Click here to learn more about emissions testing in Washington State

If Vehicle was purchased overseas we will require the bank or credit union to send us the MSO (Manufacturer Statement of Origin)

We can request this for you if you need assistance.
Just call us and provide us with the following:

  • Contact Person
  • Phone Number
  • Fax number if you have it

Please be aware that the estimated time of arrival for this is usually 7-10 business days. You may drive on user plates for up to 30 days from pick-up at the customs office.

You’ll need to bring the following to our office:

  1. User registration (overseas registration)
  2. US Customs document or DD1252 if vehicle is listed on form
  3. NRM excise tax exemption form signed and certified
    (This only applies if active service member is not registered to vote in WA, does not own a home in WA, and does not declare WA as home of record)
  4. Power of Attorney if registering and signing on behalf of NRM service member
  5. Emission test if applicable

If your vehicle is being leased, you’ll need to bring the following to our office:

  1. Faxed copy of the title
    Please keep in mind that if your state title doesn’t reflect your name on as a lessee, Washington will require the original title be mailed to us in order to process the transaction showing your name as a lessee.
  2. Original Power of Attorney from Lessor
  3. Emission Testing:
    • Vehicles that are less than 5 years old do not need emissions testing.
    • Vehicles older than 25 years do not need emissions testing.
    • Vehicles registered in Clark, Pierce, King, Snohomish, and Spokane counties are required to have emission testing completed every other year

Note: NRM = Non Resident Military Personnel
* Must be reflective on title of vehicle to be exempt from R.T.A. excise tax.

For more information on Military Personnel, please visit The Washington State Department Of Licensing.

Learn more about military discounts We now have a dedicated service window for active duty & retired military